I love cooking with with my son. While he may be too young to help with most things, one thing we can do well together is bake because his little fingers have mastered putting things into a bowl and whisking it all together.
One of our favourite recipes is our ABC muffins - Apple, Banana and Cinnamon. These guys are packed full of fibre, protein and good fats without any hidden nasties.
2 ½ cups (375g) wholemeal spelt flour (or flour of choice)
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 mashed banana
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped apples
2 eggs, whisked
1 cup milk of choice
1 tbs chia seeds
1 tbs flax seeds
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 scoop vegan vanilla protein
2 medium red apples, peeled and finely chopped or grated
• Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 12 silicone muffin moulds or line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin liners
• Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
• Whisk together all wet ingredients.
• Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture, stir to combine.
• Divide mixture evenly between prepared moulds. I like to make half large and the rest small kid friendly which are perfect for little lunch boxes.
• Top with muesli, chopped nuts or seeds.
• Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.