The Ruby Olive HQ team will be running working bees to craft animal pouches that are desperately needed by rescue shelters and hospitals. Our first crafting bee date is Saturday the 18th of January in Brisbane. Please RSVP HERE if you would like to come along! We will also be making "Fauna Wildlife Balls" as a form of sustenance for wild animals (find out more HERE). You can also read what we've written about the fires and devastation caused + find out where and how to donate financially HERE, and donate items HERE.
The wildlife pouches from our craft working bees will be donated directly to the The Rescue Collective and Animal Rescue Collective (ARC) and Animal Rescue Craft Guild. These organisations are all one team, alongside many rescue groups helping the fire zones across 5 states, backed by a registered charity (MKC). 100% volunteer run. They coordinate the making and supply of craft items that can be used by animal rescues.
We will be sending off completed pouches directly to these organisations, and for anyone who cannot help in person with us, but sends their completed pouches to RO HQ, we will refund all postage costs in the form of Ruby Olive Dollars (i.e. a gift card or store credit in the amount of postage).
WHAT CAN I MAKE
- Every outer pouch needs 2-3 liners.
- Hanging pouches are very needed too.
All sizes are needed from tiny pouches for sugar gliders all the way to large sizes that fit older kangaroo joeys.
- Inner pouches: 100% natural fibre only (cotton, bamboo, linen, silk). Flannelette or plain cotton are great, some carers love stretchy t-shirt cotton. Upcycled bed sheets and doona covers are perfect for these. Fabric should be very soft (what you would give to a baby). French seams are a MUST for all joey pouch liners.
- Outer pouches: Cotton, flannelette, polar fleece, wool, jersey, sweatshirt material, etc. Poly blends and synthetics are OK. Carers have their own preferences based on their experience and environment. French seams are not needed for outer pouches.
- 100% cotton flannelette is preferred.
- Stuff them so they feel like a firm teddy bear.
- Only polyfil for the pillow
- A variety of sizes are needed (from 3-12 inches in diameter).
- Recommended to use one thread of a cotton 8-10ply and one thread of 8ply acrylic with a 5 to 5.5mm hook. But two of wool/two of acrylic is fine.
- No yarns that are ‘fluffy’ like mohair
WHERE TO DROP OFF/SEND TO?
Send or drop-off your pouches, wraps and nests directly to us, as we are a drop off hub, if you ship them we'll exchange your postage cost for Ruby Olive Dollars. Please drop off or send your completed pouches/wraps/nests to: Ruby Olive Jewellery, 19/25 Samuel Street, Camp Hill, QLD 4152.
Alternatively, if you would like to send to another Drop Off Hub check the list out here: https://rescuedpets.com.au/